The UFC doesn’t seem to be slowing down as it plans to complete the much anticipated trilogy of Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier-who fought last on the 24th of January this year-by this summer, according to the president himself Dana White.
“Well, when you have two guys that are in their positions—Dustin is the No. 1 ranked guy in the world, you got Conor who is ranked No. 6, and they want the trilogy, you got to go with the trilogy,” White told ESPN’s Get Up on Friday (h/t Alexander K. Lee of MMA Fighting). “We’re probably going to try to put that fight together this summer.”
If our sources are to go by, ‘The Notorious’ seems hungrier than ever to avenge defeat and he wants it done as early as possible.
“If you look at Conor, if you look at the way he fought, the leg kicks that he was eating, the stance he was in, he was completely overlooking Dustin Poirier,” White said.
Back in 2014, McGregor had KO’d Poirier in a featherweight contest that ended within the first round itself. Earlier this year however, ‘The Diamond’ won the rematch by TKO, this time in a lightweight contest, with a second round stoppage at UFC 257.
Stay tuned for an official fight announcement in the coming weeks.